The European Parliament’s Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI) is preparing its own initiative report following the adoption of the New Action Plan for the Circular Economy.
The parliament will use the initiative report to call on the European Commission to act on different aspects of the action plan.
The draft report includes the following actions:
- broadening the scope of the eco-design directive
- supporting the rollout of digital product passports to keep track of a product’s environmental impact through the value chain
- strengthening consumer rights – particularly the “right to repair”
- implementing a new regulatory framework for batteries
- including an objective to make all packaging reusable or recyclable
- phasing out microplastics
- prioritizing waste prevention
ENVI will vote on the report in January and a plenary vote will follow in February 2021.